[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular Metrics - /data enpoint

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 17:03:21 EDT 2016

Making sure we don’t break clients is the most important aspect of this; however, there are some other questions I want to throw out. Today we only support clients adding raw data points. What if in the future though we add support for complex types like histograms and allow clients to directly store them. Would clients post that data to /raw, /stats, or something else?

Today we compute aggregated metrics at query time. We are going to add support for pre-computed aggregate metrics that are persisted. Do we have different endpoints for each? I haven’t thought about it too much yet, but I don’t separate endpoints is the way to go.

With HWKMETRICS-373, we are introducing support for tag based bucketing as opposed to the date range bucketing already have. There are some minor differences in the data structures returned in the response, namely a map is returned instead of an array. Should we have a different endpoints for tag based buckets vs date range buckets?

We currently have one increasingly complex method to handle queries for raw data, various permutations of date range buckets, and eventually tag based buckets once my changes for HWKMETRICS-373 are merged. These changes definitely will simplify things on the server side, but do they simply or otherwise improve things for clients? I am a little concerned that we might be letting our implementation bleed into the API a little too much. For example, we segment our data in our schema design by metric type. Do we necessarily need to do that everywhere in the API?