[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular Metrics - /data enpoint

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Tue Apr 5 08:59:10 EDT 2016

On 4 Apr 2016, at 23:03, John Sanda wrote:
> based bucketing as opposed to the date range bucketing already have.
> There are some minor differences in the data structures returned in
> the response, namely a map is returned instead of an array. Should we
> have a different endpoints for tag based buckets vs date range
> buckets?

If that stays in the same endpoint, then we need to
return different content-types
We can't have clients guessing here.

> do they simply or otherwise improve things for clients? I am a little
> concerned that we might be letting our implementation bleed into the
> API a little too much. For example, we segment our data in our schema
> design by metric type. Do we necessarily need to do that everywhere in
> the API?

I agree. We can do a lot more via content-negotiation.
The data structure to add a single (raw) data point or a list
of data points that belong to different metric-ids is already
much too complicated.

There may in the future clients like on the photo of [1] or [2]
out there that may want to directly send data into h-metrics.
There you don't want to fiddle with object mappers to understand
complex structures and all that.

[1]
http://pilhuhn.blogspot.de/2016/02/sending-iot-sensor-data-to-hawkular.html
[2] https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoMKR1000