[Hawkular-dev] java-based prometheus metrics scraper

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 06:48:52 EDT 2016

Why should this be part of the agent? Shouldn't this be rather a standalone
utility?

I mean it sure can reuse large parts of the code from the agent (talking to
inv and metrics, etc), but Prometheus doesn't have much to do with Wildfly,
does it?

I fear that we're just bloating the agent more and more until it becomes an
inseparable "blob" as RHQ agent. It already does Wfly, JMX, platform and now
Prometheus.

On Monday, April 11, 2016 09:00:32 PM John Mazzitelli wrote:
> FYI: I finished a Java-based Prometheus scraper - seems to be working. It is
> just code that scrapes any remote Prometheus endpoint given a URL and let's
> you easily walk the metric data for further processing (like, if you want
> to insert that data into Hawkular Metrics or if you want to dump the data
> in XML or JSON format - the CLI does this today, see below). I'll
> eventually blog about this, but not until I actually merge it into master.
> It's in my branch right now here:
>
> https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-agent/tree/mazz/hwkagent-66-prometheus/
> prometheus-scraper
>
> This also includes a CLI tool - build the scraper maven module and you'll
> get an uber-jar that let's you scrape a remote Prometheus endpoint and dump
> the metric data in XML, JSON, or simple form. See the README.md for more.
>
> Now I just have to figure out how to integrate this into the Hawkular

Lukas Krejci