[Hawkular-dev] H-Services vs. src-deps

Juraci Paixão Kröhling jpkroehling at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 02:19:11 EDT 2016

On 02.08.2016 22:21, Stefan Negrea wrote:
> I know there were some issues in the past with SNAPSHOT artifacts in
> general. Can we revisit that in the context of Hawkular Services since a
> lot changed in the past few months?

No, snapshots aren't a solution, as they are not predictable at all.
Think about the snapshot resolution during the build of a PR. How would
that work? Also, how does it solve the problem with H-Services? It doesn't.

 From my original email:

 > The src-deps plugin is very helpful for our daily work, as it allows us
 > to use a given commit as a dependency for our modules, but it's not
 > appropriate for released artifacts, as it kinda breaks the stability
 > promise that "a released artifact uses only released artifacts" that is
 > common on Maven.

Snapshots have the same problems, plus a couple of problems of its own.
Snapshots make sense only for modules that can be resolved in the same
project tree, like submodules, or for local development. For anything
else, you'd be bringing one element that is not desirable at all: doubt.
"Which snapshot did this build use?" is never a question we should be
asking ourselves.

- Juca.