[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular agent for Karaf?

Thomas Cunningham tcunning at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 10:57:58 EDT 2016

Hi,

I've been talking to Heiko about getting the Hawkular agent to work on
Karaf for the Fuse team.

Currently there's number of JON plugins for Fuse that collect metrics and
expose operations through JMX for the components that are being monitored
(Karaf, Camel, SwitchYard, CXF, ActiveMQ, Fabric, etc).     There's a few
components that are also shipped on top of EAP (Camel, SwitchYard) that
would need to be monitored as well, but I think I'd like to get the Karaf
portion finished first.

I'd like to create OSGI bundles for the parts of the hawkular-agent that we
need, maybe create a features file for installing the agent, and then
figure out a way to get the agent started so we could collect some data.
 Could someone help point me in the right direction?    I've got a bunch of
questions ..

How does the agent get started on EAP?
Which parts of hawkular-agent are wildfly-specific?   Which parts would I
need for Karaf to get the agent started?
Would it be beneficial to OSGI-enable hawkular-agent by turning the JARs it
creates into OSGI bundles?
Does hawkular-agent have a lot of dependencies?

Thanks for your help in advance - look forward to working with you on this.

Tom