[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular agent for Karaf?

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Thu Aug 11 07:47:00 EDT 2016

On 5 Aug 2016, at 18:32, John Mazzitelli wrote:

> I honestly have no idea what is involved in porting this over to run
> in another container. As I said earlier, Hawkular is designed to have
> multiple kinds of agents/feeds talking to it, so we didn't try to
> implement the agent to be portable to run in other containers (this is
> also why we call it the Hawkular *WildFly* Agent - it runs inside
> WildFly and monitors it). It was just assumed a new kind of feed
> ("agent") would be implemented for any new container we want to
> manage. For example, such a thing is happening with vert.x - there is
> a vert.x agent that was prototyped by Thomas Segismont.

This work + the work of Austin for GSoC are not as sophisticated
as the existing WF-Agent.

I think our agent has three kinds of code:
1) boiler plate to get it to run inside of WildFly and be configured via
standalone.xml
2) code to fetch values via DMR, JMX, ...
3) code to interact with the Hawkular server

3) would be stuff that Tom could re-use
Parts of 2) - the JMX one - as well, even if in his case it may be
a local JMX connection instead of remote. Or he could set up one
Karaf container as agent, remote monitoring the other containers.

Mazz: can we identify the code for 2) and 3) and help Tom?

--
Reg. Adresse: Red Hat GmbH, Technopark II, Haus C,
Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 14, D-85630 Grasbrunn