[Hawkular-dev] metrics on the bus

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Tue Aug 16 11:25:50 EDT 2016

I considered clustering before making the suggestion. MetricDataListener listens to a JMS topic for data points. When it receives data points, it passes those data points to AlertsEngine which in turn writes the data points into an ISPN, distributed cache. And then it looks like those data point get processed via a cache entry listener in AlertsEngineImpl. If I understand this data flow correctly, then I think it will work just as well if not better in a single WAR. Rather than getting notifications from a JMS topic, MetricDataListener can receive notifications from an Observable that pushes data point as they received in client requests. Metrics will also subscribe to that same Observable so that it can persist the data points. The fact that alerts is using a distributed cache works to our advantage here because it provides a mechanism for distributing data across nodes.