[Hawkular-dev] metrics on the bus

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Thu Aug 18 09:46:36 EDT 2016

It's possible the solution proposed by John should be the ultimate
goal.  It has the advantage of creating a distribution of
Metrics+Alerting while also solving an H Services performance issue.
But I don't really buy this argument which distills down to, "what if
there are bugs?".  And I don't really buy into John's argument that the
JMS use in H Services has an inherent performance issue.  Without the
full publishing of all metrics, and the subsequent filtering by
alerting, I'm sure it can handle what we throw at it and plenty more.
Finally, I don't really agree with Lucas that John's approach is a major
architectural change, it presents a packaging issue and adds some
integration code.  It doesn't propose removal of JMS/bus in H Services.

So personally, I don't have an issue with PR-568 as an immediate
solution to the existing performance issue. I also don't mind if we
close it and immediately implement John's approach as it potentially
gives us two wins for the price of one.  And I also don't mind if PR-568
is an interim solution if we decide to defer the co-packaging approach.
I think we need a decision from Heiko and Thomas as to how to proceed,
and minimally, I appreciate that Lucas has been proactive in providing
at least one solution.