[Hawkular-dev] Docker build on a VM

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Mon Dec 12 15:05:27 EST 2016

I was stumped for quite a while about why I couldn't get a docker build
to run on my VM.  The symptom is that the docker build can not reach the
outside world, and therefore can't pull in what it needs.  This happens
even though the VM itself has no connectivity issues.  Note, I assume
this is a VM thing because it happened to both mazz and myself, using
Virtual Box fedora vms, but it may not be limited to VMs.   I finally
stumbled on a stack overflow entry that solved the issue [1].

Basically, you need to tell docker about your DNS servers, and also
Google's DNS server 8.8.8.8.  Your mileage may vary, perhaps you'll only
need a subset of of servers, but hopefully this helps you out, because
it was a pita.

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/25130536/dockerfile-docker-build-cant-download-packages-centos-yum-debian-ubuntu-ap