[Hawkular-dev] Behavioral Change in Alerting

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Fri Feb 12 16:48:49 EST 2016

With the merge of Hawkular-922 we've moved trigger definition out of the
UI code and into the server.  This simplifies the UI coding but more
importantly it means users don't need to log in and perform UI
navigation in order to initiate alerting.  Now, as soon as the agent
discovers resources, and inventory notifies the bus, triggers are
defined.   These out-of-box (OOB) triggers will now monitor data prior
to any user login.

Moreover, our OOB triggers are now defined as Group triggers (the
H-Alerts equivalent to Alert Definition Templates in RHQ).  So, for new
Resource-Types we define Group triggers, and then for each new Resource
of those types we add a member trigger to the group. In alpha-10 we
maintain nearly the same UI wrt alerts, but one big difference is that
editing a trigger definition now affects all members of that group.  So,
for example, if you change a CPU trigger from > 20% to > 30% it will
actually change all of the CPU triggers in the same way.  If you want to
disable NonHeap triggers you can disable then all at one time. Etc..
This gets us closer to a "policy" approach to alerting where everything
is monitored in the same fashion.

There is another change to mention that makes sense but may seem a
little surprising.  Because the OOB triggers are now defined
server-side, outside of a UI session, there is no obvious user
associated with their creation. In the UI we had the user that was
logged in at the time but on the server, but now we don't. Because we
don't have an email address it's not possible to define an email action
at trigger creation time .  For now, to activate an email action it will
require a UI session and an edit of the trigger.  The email will be
applied to all of the triggers in that group (not all triggers in the
system).  There is a new on/off switch on the email action and it will
initially be set to off.

It's unclear where we go from here, but if there is further work in this
area there are several things to discuss, like:
- a more robust [email] action approach
- ad-hoc group triggers
- detaching members from groups
- ad-hoc [standard] triggers