[Hawkular-dev] Cassandra upgrade

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Wed Jan 13 10:20:06 EST 2016

On 11 Jan 2016, at 18:45, John Sanda wrote:

> 3.x. From a development standpoint, I think it absolutely makes sense
> to upgrade. I would like to know what others think (Heiko in
> particular). There are other

Can you list some of those? Do we expect improved
performance or reduced resource consumption?

I believe though that upgrading now is better than
later in the game. And if only with respect to not
needing any sstableupgrade runs.

It has the drawback of productization though as you write:

> considerations like productization build changes and OpenShift
> integration. There would be a data migration involved with OpenShift
> since we already shipped Cassandra 2.x. When upgrading across major
> versions, you are supposed to run the sstableupgrade utility on each
> table. We would need to do this for OpenShift. Whether or not we
> choose to upgrade now, we will need to deal with this migration step
> in OpenShift at some point.

Yes. What runtimes are expected here? If they are typically in
some minute ranges, then they could be more or less be done
during a normal openshift version upgrade I guess.