[Hawkular-dev] RfD: Installer

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 04:28:26 EST 2016

Hey,

while the All In One zip works well for demoing, using Hawkular in a
more serious scenario requires a lot of options and settings

* External C*:  $CASSANDRA_NODES and -Dhawkular.backend=remote
* Binding to non-localhost: -b a.b.c.d and
-Dkeycloak.server.url=http://a.b.c.d:8080/auth
* Adding jdoe to a dist build:
-Dkeycloak.import=./standalone/configuration/hawkular-realm-for-dev.json
* Using an external RDBMS for keycloack users: "before the server first
boots, the `KeycloakDS` on `standalone.xml` should be changed to point
to an external database." (this applies when using the embedded KC and
not a separate standalone one)
* If not using jdoe above: setting user/password for the internal agent
after a user was created
* Dorking around with standalone.xml to chose up a mail server
* Setting other java opts

all the above involve a huge amount of manual steps and configuration
changes.

I think it is thus time to introduce some sort of installer or config
script that is able to make the changes. I think there is meanwhile even
a cli mode that can apply the changes (to standalone.xml) on a
non-running server. Some options could be set in env variables or
directly applied to the standalone.xml.

If we still need to supply env-variables we may potentially also create
a start script from the  installer, which sets the variabls and then
calls standalone.sh