[Hawkular-dev] What should be the replacement for printlns in tests?

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Wed Jan 27 04:44:07 EST 2016

Hi *,

Short version: How to configure the log levels for individual
jboss.logging loggers in tests run by maven outside the container?

Long version:
I was recently assigned https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HAWKULAR-264 Add
println checks to the checkstyle. It says that "Tests shouldn't be
allowed to have printlns, we should enforce this via the checkstyle plugin."

I fully agree for tests being run on the server side - those can use
JBoss Logging in the very same manner as the server code.

However, what is the best replacement for println()s in tests that are
run outside the server?

I tried using JBoss Logging there too but I failed completely to find a
way to configure the log levels for individual loggers. Does anybody
know how to do that?

To get my work done without using printlns, I started to use
java.util.logging configured via logging.properties :
https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-agent/blob/master/hawkular-wildfly-agent-itest-parent/hawkular-wildfly-agent-itest/src/test/resources/logging.properties

So what should be the replacement for printlns in tests?

Thanks,

Peter