[Hawkular-dev] Installer

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Fri Jan 29 06:06:08 EST 2016

> For the server, I think it would be extremely helpful to have a dedicated
> property file for all the typical configuration. By typical, I mean, the IP
> to the cassandra cluster, the IP to the Keycloak server, enable/disable the
> internal agent with username/password...
> Does anyone know how we can keep the configuration.xml files but point to
> properties in a different file ? I think it would be extremely helpful for a
> user and an installer to just have to edit a simpe and documented property
> file rather than messing around with the standalone.xml file that change
> over time.

This is actually how RHQ started out. We have one single rhq-server.properties file with ALL the custom configuration settings in there. You start the server by passing in "-P rhq-server.properties". Of course RHQ has a custom "rhq-server.sh" that called standalone.sh with that parameter passed in :) But I agree it would be nice to have a single .properties file with everything in there. It's a one-stop-shop where the user only has to remember one file to edit to configure the server. Just have to remember to pass it in via -P. We could edit standalone.conf during the build phase so it passes that -P in by default.