[Hawkular-dev] Cassandra schema change management

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Fri Jan 29 17:24:00 EST 2016

We have been lacking a Cassandra schema change manage tool. I have been hoping to see more projects in this area, but they have not materialized. There are several projects in this space like Liquibase[1], FlyWay[2], and Rails Migrations[3]. The problem with these projects is that they are all designed specifically for relational databases. When we first started using Cassandra in RHQ, I started working on a patch for Liquibase to add support for Cassandra.I discovered that it was not going to be a good fit. It would have required substantial changes to the core Liquibase code base.

Over the past week I have been working on a small library, Cassalog[4], that provides schema change management specifically for Cassandra. I decided to put it in its own repo instead of a hawkular repo for now since it is not hawkular specific. I started adding some docs and examples and would appreciate any feedback. I would like to see whether or not this could be a good option for managing C* schema changes in hawkular.

[1] http://www.liquibase.org/ <http://www.liquibase.org/>
[2] http://flywaydb.org/ <http://flywaydb.org/>
[3] http://edgeguides.rubyonrails.org/active_record_migrations.html <http://edgeguides.rubyonrails.org/active_record_migrations.html>
[4] https://github.com/jsanda/cassalog <https://github.com/jsanda/cassalog>