[Hawkular-dev] agent using custom metric IDs

Lukas Krejci lkrejci at redhat.com
Thu Jul 7 17:53:39 EDT 2016

On čtvrtek 7. července 2016 17:31:14 CEST John Mazzitelli wrote:
> > What if you used the inventory's canonical path as an the metric ID
>
> Well, that doesn't solve the problem. That would just be replacing one
> auto-generated ID for another one. The requirement is to allow a user to be
> able to customize the metric ID to something the user wants. See the JIRA
> for details: https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HWKAGENT-78

Hmm, good point.

I wonder then if this should not evolve into something more engrained into
inventory. Something like "AKA" property on the entities:

"also-known-as": {
  "h-metrics": "h-metrics-specific-id",
  "h-alerts": "another-id",
  "collectd": "yet-another-id",
  "rhq": "some-id",
  "legacy-monitoring-system-in-our-enterprise": "blah-id",
}

Well, maybe your approach of just shoving this info in general purpose
properties is enough. All the clients would still need to know where to look
for the other ids, so the above would possibly not bring too much
simplification for the clients. Consolidation maybe, but not simplification.

Lukas Krejci