[Hawkular-dev] Metrics storage usage and compression

Michael Burman miburman at redhat.com
Thu Jul 28 10:42:42 EDT 2016

Hi,

I managed to delete that data already, so here comes another calculation based on the real values (not theoretical). These come from Cassandra 2.2.8 and the dataset is Gauges of idling MiQ instance Cassandra data..

2168597 values in 1528 keys:

LZ4:     54331865 bytes -> 25.05 bytes per value
Deflate: 28491886 bytes -> 13.14 bytes per value
LZ4 + Gorilla: 1574659 bytes -> 0.726 bytes per value

The last one is too good because the dataset includes a lot of gauges that have "0" as all of their values. In the dataset the Gorilla compression's worst cases are around 5 bytes per value, but as you can see, the 0 valued measurements considerably improve the compression ratio. How realistic measurements these idlings are .. I don't know.

Note: Cassandra 3.8 improves these values, especially with LZ4:

LZ4 -> ~15 bytes per value
Deflate: ~10 bytes per value

In this Openshift example, with just Cassandra upgrade + Deflate we would have improved 25 -> 10.

  - Micke