[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular.org

Thomas Heute theute at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 07:46:34 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 1:24 PM, Alissa Bonas <abonas at redhat.com> wrote:

> 1. I would put REST api as a separate section, and also not in the same
> hierarchy/section as client libraries, because REST is part of the project,
> and clients consume it.

I'm not sure, from a developer perspective it doesn't really matter if REST
is part of the project (except that you have nothing else to download/use),
but it should be clear what options, as a developer, you have.
One has the choice between Ruby, Python, Go or plain REST.

At least that was my way of thinking.

> 2. Having sections named "clients" and "client libraries" can be
> confusing.

Agreed.

> Perhaps "integrations" or "applications that consume hawkular" is better
> for "clients"?

I thought of "consumers" for a short name. As we have "feeds" that feed
data and "consumers" that consumed and display or do something with the
data. Still not convinced about that name though....

> 3. Is there a section dedicated to community events
> (meetups/conferences/hackaton/summit, etc.) where there are talks about the
> project? Didn't see it in the diagram.

Good point.
We should probably splash them on the front page + blog.

> 4. Overview can link to quick start imo

Not sure what you mean, after one read the overview he should definitely be
invited to get started.

> 5. What should be the difference between quick start and the download
> sections?

Quick start explains how to install the quickest way and get something out
of the product.

The download section allows to find links of latest and previous releases.

> 6. Ways to contact community? I saw only social links in the footer, but
> what about mailing list/irc,etc.?

That would be in Community>Connect

> p.s. I wrote an article couple of years ago on usability of community
> websites, maybe some ideas from there would be helpful as well
> https://opensource.com/business/14/8/open-source-project-front-door

I'll have a look, thanks !

Thomas