[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular Community - Distribution

Juraci Paixão Kröhling jpkroehling at redhat.com
Tue Jun 21 14:19:18 EDT 2016

On 21.06.2016 19:50, Stefan Negrea wrote:
> Lastly, I renamed old hawkular/hawkular repository
> hawkular/hawkular-dist-old, marked it as archived, and removed access to
> it. The new url: https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-dist-old .

Just to share with the list the feedback I already gave privately on
IRC: I think this should have not been renamed, and should be renamed
back to hawkular/hawkular . Even if GitHub performs redirects, we should
not rename repositories unless we are forced to, as there are a good
number of places referencing to that. People reading "hawkular/hawkular"
in some (old?) documentation might be confused when they look at the
list of repositories and not find this repository. And I don't think our
reasons are strong enough to deserve a rename. Besides, we voted for not
renaming the repositories, adding appropriate descriptions instead.

As for the contents of hawkular/hawkular, I see two options:

1) For the case where we really want to dismiss hawkular/hawkular
entirely and never go back, let's just do a "git rm -rf ." and push the
commit, with an appropriate README file

2) A less drastic option is to have the community build come from this
repository. It might be confusing, but the contents of -community are
similar in purpose to that of hawkular/hawkular . So, it could be seen
as an evolution. The appropriate thing then is to "git rm" everything
that will not be in the new community distribution.

- Juca.