[Hawkular-dev] "Matter" support in Hawkular

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Tue Mar 1 03:52:40 EST 2016

Hi,

[ I picked "Matter" on purpose in the subject, as the other term (E.) is
too much overloaded. ]

ManageIQ has Events (going forward I call them ME), that are similar to
our Alerts.
There are some event parsers that take incoming data and then forward it
into the
MiQ events system, where automatic actions can be triggered

Now we have a pretty similar concept with our alerts.

For ME on metrics, MiQ pulls the metrics and the provider integration
creates
the ME on them.

I wonder if for other purposes we can use our existing alerts subsystem
with some "canned alerts", that translate input into such MiQ-Events and
forward them into MiQ.
With "canned" I mean that those are not set up via UI, but rather we
have "trigger templates" that are applied each time a new resource of a
given type is added to inventory.
This implies that those templates can only work on things that do not
have
a variable threshold like system going up/down, WildFly reporting
"reload
needed" and so on.

While it would be certainly possible to implement this at the level of
emitting
inventory "matters" and metric "matters" and so on I think having that
central
piece of logic to do it - could be better to handle.