[Hawkular-dev] Line length rule to be removed from Checkstyle

Stefan Negrea snegrea at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 10:26:24 EDT 2016

Hello Everybody,

Just had a brief chat with Peter. The main problem with that rule is not its application for actual code lines, I think almost everybody liked that. 99% of the frustration came from commented code not formatted to length by the IDEs. The classic example is having a line with 120 characters of Java code, the developer decides to test something by commenting out this line; the commenting takes 3 extra characters for a total of 123 characters. The IDE does not re-format to length and now there is a build error.

>From my discussions with Peter there is no way to apply this rule selectively (eg. do not enforce line length for Java comments). So making the rule optional until that option is available (if it will ever be available) is the only way to remove the source collective of frustration.

Peter, I second your proposal. Thank you!

Stefan