[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular-Archive - New Org

Stefan Negrea snegrea at redhat.com
Mon May 2 11:47:10 EDT 2016

On Mon, May 2, 2016 at 2:58 AM, Heiko W.Rupp <hrupp at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2016, at 15:58, Stefan Negrea wrote:
> > Any repositories that should be archived right away? Any other
> suggestions
> > for a name? Any thoughts on the idea in general?
>
> Are there other organizations that do this?

Did not look but I would not be surprised if others do it. At the same
time, this proposal is very sensible given the current situation of the
Hawkular org. I would not have proposed this if it did not make sense, so
whether other orgs do the same is not very important.

> Within the GitHub organization overview projects with
> no activity automatically go to the back/bottom, as
> those with activity bubble to the top.
>

> To me adding "obsolete" to the short description sounds
> enough.

Keeping 30 repositories in an org with fewer active contributors than
repositories makes thinks confusing (priorities, importance, relevance,
focus). Rather than taking the drastic step of purging repositories, this
is a good approach to still have code that was developed for reference
purposes or to restart development if needed.

As I said before, marking a repository as 'obsolete' is really strong
compared to moving it to a sister org. And letting repositories drop to the
bottom does not resolve potential confusion. I  see a new org with clear
mission a much much better approach.