[Hawkular-dev] Composition of the community distribution / Naming

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Wed May 4 10:05:00 EDT 2016

Now that the votes has been cast, it is clear that there is a desire to
still have
a community distribution.

Looking at the comments also make it clear that the scope needs to
refined.
Especially in the light that it was not communicated well enough before
that e.g.
the app-server tab in the UI will go away.
Discussion areas can be found below.

Another question is the naming.
In http://www.hawkular.org/blog/2016/04/28/new-packaging.html
we referenced 3 'distributions'
1) Hawkular community release
which includes
2) Hawkular core services
which includes
3) Hawkular-metrics

I propose to to rename 1) and 2) going forward to

1new) Hawkular-aio distribution
2new) Hawkular

Technical areas for discussion in the community-release (Hawkular-aio)
are:

* Url handling / pinger / avail-creator

Probably not needed going forward

* UI/ Alert Center

Needed in a generic way - i.e. allow to see fired alerts/events and to
define
generic triggers. For the display it will be enough to iterate over the
Event/Alert
object returned from the REST-api and to display the key/value pairs.

* UI/ Explorer

This needs to stay and we need to fix some smaller bugs to allow
for inventory browsing and display of metric charts

* Accounts / Multi-tenancy

I still see this as a great value and unique selling point, but also see
the effort
of maintaining this (and the issues we have with KC and hostnames).
It may be good to also remove this

* Embedded Cassandra

I think this needs to be present in the community-distribution

* UI/Agent installer

Not sure if this is still needed or if we would just put the
agent+installer
into a directory of the zip for the users to take the installer from
there.

* Default user

The Hawkular-aio download should feature a default user jdoe/password
which is also set in the embedded agent.