[Hawkular-dev] Metrics: Cassandra Driver timeouts during the build

Peter Palaga ppalaga at redhat.com
Tue May 31 07:03:43 EDT 2016

Hi *,

Short version: doubling the read timeouts [1] for all three uses of
Cassandra Driver solved the problem for me. Is this a good idea? Can
anybody see a better solution to my problem?

Long version:

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/HWKMETRICS-404

As some of you already know from my complaints on IRC, I have not been
able to build Metrics since a couple of weeks.

My builds failed mostly on core-services but sometimes also in
configuration-service and resr-tests-jaxrs, the error always being the same:

com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.NoHostAvailableException: All
host(s) tried for query failed (tried: /127.0.0.1:9042
(com.datastax.driver.core.exceptions.OperationTimedOutException:
[/127.0.0.1] Timed out waiting for server response))

The whole build log: http://paste.fedoraproject.org/372623/46116551/

This started happening at some point after my PR
https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-metrics/pull/478 was merged. I do
not say this PR is the cause, this is just an attempt to narrow down the
set of commits that might have introduced the problem.

As nobody else (incl. Travis) complained about anything similar, I was
thinking the issue must be somewhere in my environment. I double checked
I use the right Cassandra version, ulimits, Java version, Maven version,
system updates, but nothing helped.

Then I tried doubling the read timeouts [1] for all three uses of
Cassandra Driver and the build started passing again. Is this a good
idea? Can anybody see a better solution to my problem?

[1] https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-metrics/pull/510