[Hawkular-dev] Labeling needs ?

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 04:43:20 EDT 2016

On 31 Oct 2016, at 22:59, Matt Wringe wrote:
>>     * Post-tagging of data points (tagging could be provoked by
>> another
>>     system that e.g. parses log files and sees an anomaly) The idea
>> behind
>>     it is that one should be able to create tags at certain points in
>> time
>>     for a single metric or a list of metrics to uniquely identify
>> that point
>>     in time for queries (relative performance of two versions of a
>>     deployment).
>
> This feels like an 'event' what could be marked. I don't know if it
> needs to be applied to a datapoint directly, or stored in a separate
> list, or if it even needs to be stored in Hawkular Metrics.

While I formulated it as it has to be on a (set of) datapoints,
this does not imply any technical implementation.
You are absolutely right, that this could be a separate
map < label, < timestamp, set <metrics>>>
to record the time it applies and the affected metrics.

> The main thing I think is to be able to query the list of events which
> have occurred over a specific time frame.

Exactly. And to be able to get metric data in a from-label
to-label (or 'til-now' or '+8h') way

> OpenShift has a lot of events it can gather, it could be really cool
> if we could display these events as marks in the graphs. I don't know
> if we can use Hawkular Metric string

+1

> Do individual data points have tags applied to them? Or only the
> overall metric?

There are tags on the metric definitions, but I would not want
to overload them with those "events".