[Hawkular-dev] openshift application metrics example

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Sat Nov 12 21:31:31 EST 2016

I added some more to help people demo or try out Hawkular OpenShift Agent. See:

https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-openshift-agent/blob/master/README.adoc#try-it

If you are looking at this stuff, try that out and let me know if something is missing.

In short, I put together a simple Jolokia-enabled WildFly server docker image that can be deployed into OpenShift via the "deploy-to-openshift.sh" script. That script also creates an example configmap and pod annotation so the agent will immediately begin collecting metrics (assuming, of course, you have an agent deployed in OpenShift - the README explains how to do that, too).

I'm soon going to be able to write a blog or video demo on this now that I have everything working and I have an example Jolokia endpoint that is emitting metrics.

The only thing really missing is there is no way for us to actually SEE the metrics in OpenShift (since obviously the console doesn't know anything about application metrics yet). But I can use Heiko's HawkFX to show the graphs since HawkFX now is able to log into OpenShift's H-Metrics server, thanks Heiko!