[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular OpenShift Agent is now available

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Thu Oct 20 11:10:53 EDT 2016

(FYI: we had an "underwhelming" participation in the naming poll. What was decided upon was a more descriptive name rather than some code name anyway)

Hawkular OpenShift Agent source has been published on github.com here:

   https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-openshift-agent

For now, we'll track issues in github until we figure out what we want to do (if anything) in JIRA and where.

If interested, read the README - it provides build and run instructions.

Currently the Hawkular OpenShift Agent supports the following:

1) Watches OpenShift as pods and configmaps are added, modified, and removed
2) As things change in OpenShift, the agent adjusts what it monitors
3) All metric data is stored in Hawkular Metrics
4) Pods tell the agent what should be monitored via an annotation which names a config map. In that config map is a single YAML configuration that contains all the endpoint information the agent needs in order to monitor it and store its data. Pods can ask for multiple endpoints to be monitored, and multiple pods within the node can be monitored - but only one node is monitored. If you have multiple nodes, you need one agent per node.
5) Each endpoint data can have its data stored in its own tenant (as defined in the config map yaml)
6) The agent can monitor any endpoints you define in the global agent config file also - you don't need to have pods/config maps for this (this is useful if the agent is running outside of Open Shift or there are some things in the agent's node that you want monitored without having to look up pods/configmaps).
7) Currently, Prometheus endpoints are supported (both binary and text protocols).

There are many things we need to get done.

* Jolokia support is not yet implemented
* Secure access (encryption and authentication) to both Hawkular-Metrics and the metric endpoints
* Details on how to run the agent within Open Shift (daemon set?)
* Tag the metrics being stored (there are no tags being associated with the metrics yet)
* Determine the names of the metrics (right now its just using the names of the prometheus metrics as-is)
* etc, etc, etc

Many thanks to Matt Wringe who got this kicked off with his ideas and Open Shift integration code which was the foundation of the current codebase.

--John Mazz