[Hawkular-dev] "simpler" agent config ?

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Tue Sep 6 21:27:18 EDT 2016

> What about an utility to export/import that yaml from/to the standard
> configuration file (standalone.xml) ?

That is one idea. However, note there still would be issues that need to be solved:

1) Any change you make to the yaml file would require the user to run the export/import tool again - is that going to be annoying to the user? Are they even going to know they have to run a tool after editing a configuration file? That seems to be annoying to add a second step (1. modify the yaml file 2) run a tool to export the config into standalone.xml). People will most likely forget to do 2.

2) This means our export/import tool needs to be smart enough to know how to transform the standalone.xml when the agent configuration is not there yet AND when there is already agent configuration there. We'd need to do something similar to what the agent installer does, which is not trivial.

3) Still doesn't solve the security problems (passwords unencrypted, how to define and reference security realms) - unless we add the security realms in the yaml and have the export/import tool modify the standalone.xml so it modifies the proper security-realms section in standalone xml, too.

4) Still doesn't solve the "no write-back" to the yaml. If you change or add a config setting via the JBoss CLI, it will get persisted to standalone.xml, but it will NOT be persisted to the yaml file. The yaml file essentially becomes stale and you can no longer refer to it and be guaranteed it contains the most up-to-date config. If you run the export/import tool on the stale yaml, you have essentially overwritten the current config in standalone.xml with stale config.