[Hawkular-dev] [Inventory] Performance of Tinkerpop3 backends

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 10:31:27 EDT 2016

On 9/8/2016 10:13 AM, John Mazzitelli wrote:
> Considering that the agent has already hit a major problem where Titan is most likely the cause, I do see that we need to move away from it.
>
> If we go to the next option (Sqlg), how difficult would it be to be able to switch backends (embedded H2 versus external Postgres)?
>
> And how bad would it be to just support H2 for single-node Hawkular Services installations (even if in production)?
>
> I don't think we'd want to try to cluster H2 DBs (is that even possible?) in the case of a multi-node H-Services deployment, but for simple deployments, why make people install and manage a separate Postgres backend if we can avoid it? But still have the option to let the person use Postgres if they want.
>
> Obviously, for when running in MiQ environments, we could point inventory to MiQ's Postgres DB (and that's most likely the vast majority of production deployments - if not all of them). But for dev environments, I wonder if being able to use the embedded H2 DB would be easier.

I'm not sure this is obvious.  It's unclear to me that we could hijack
the MIQ postgres db, maybe.

> In any event, we do need to move off of Titan soon - I can't merge this until we do (or we fix Titan) - https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-agent/pull/249

If there is any way we could find a way around this problem for the
near-term, and maintain Titan for an initial release, it would seem like
the safest approach until we find an alternative.

How extensive is our use of Tinkerpop?  Is it at all feasible for us to
drop it and look into having our own C* persistence layer to support
Inventory?  I know we could again get beaten up for NIH syndrome, but
we're paying a high price for trying to use a 3rd party OS solution.
The idea of requiring more than one database, and the baggage that goes
with it, is not a pleasant thought.