[Hawkular-dev] agent "new server" event

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Mon Apr 3 10:22:34 EDT 2017

The idea to limit inventory's responsibilities, and then the metrics TTL
discussion, sort of led me towards another idea.  Perhaps we could
eliminate inventory and metrics from this feature, and also let the
agent be "dumb" and just configuration driven.  We could add agent
meta-data on resource types we want reported when newly-discovered.  I
suppose we could have a variety of notification-types but
"on-initial-discovery" would be the only thing of interest at the
moment, and only on server types.

The agent could make a rest call to hServices (glue code) notifying of a
new resource discovery.  It could report this multiple times (like on
every startup).  The glue code would just check to see if there was
already an event for this and if not it would generate one.  This is via
the alerting API, bypassing metrics and inventory, no TTL issues, etc.
The logic is centralized and the agent doesn't really have to do
anything very smart (I think).  We could feasibly do other things in the
hServices code, like update an existing event (via tag) each time to
keep track of recency, perhaps allowing some sort of event generation
for "removed resource" when we haven't been updated in a long time.

Thoughts?