[Hawkular-dev] Proposal for Query DSL

Jay Shaughnessy jshaughn at redhat.com
Mon Apr 17 20:01:35 EDT 2017

On 4/17/2017 6:10 PM, Benjamin Heiskell wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I recently deployed Hawkular because I found its scaling model
> appealing. It has been working well for our basic monitoring usage
> when combined with Grafana.
>
> One of my consumers is trying to graph KPIs that involve cross-metric
> mathematics like sums, division, and moving averages (i.e.,
> post-ingress transformations). I looked into how to accomplish this
> with Hawkular, but I didn't see any obvious way to do it. The stats
> endpoint seems to only support aggregations on a single metric/tag at
> a time. I'm finding that we can't visualize these metrics the same way
> you can with other TSDBs like Graphite/Prometheus.

It's maybe not what you're looking for but the model for aggregating
across metrics is to use a tag query to define the set of applicable
metrics.  The tag query expressions are fairly robust [1], of course the
tags need to be there to make it useful.    But given the tags it is
possible to do sums, percentiles, etc...  As an aside, there is small
expression language for using those aggregates for alerting.  If you're
interested check out
http://www.hawkular.org/hawkular-metrics/docs/user-guide/#_query_based_alerting.

[1] The tag query language has just recently been released and I'm not
sure if the documentation has been updated (Snegrea?).  But you can look
here https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-metrics/pull/725.