[Hawkular-dev] Add functionality to change password.

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Wed Apr 26 04:33:42 EDT 2017

Hey,

On 17 Apr 2017, at 14:17, Mohammad Murad wrote:

> On the Gitter channel I suggested that we should give the user an option to
> change the password. Currently there is no REST API for that. This will be
> very helpful if the credentials of the user are compromised.

Thank you for bringing this up.

I agree that there should be some way of doing that, but as it
stands right now it is also tricky from a technical standpoint.

One part is on the Hawkular-services server itself to change
the password. The other part is also to convey this change to
connected agents. And in the case that they are running in
(Docker) Containers also to propagate the change there
(be it for a new image build, be it to set the environment
accordingly).

On the server we currently set up credentials via add-user
on startup (if I recall correctly). This would also need to change.

If the agent is mutable, we could probably forward the password
change via the operations (web-socket) to the agents, which
store the new credentials and use them from there on.

The immutable agents (in Containers) could use the same
mechanisms to change the in-memory credentials for the
running agent.

Leaves us with procedures to change the environment/image

  Heiko