[Hawkular-dev] A convention for metrics (short) name

Thomas Heute theute at redhat.com
Wed Aug 9 05:27:01 EDT 2017

We definitely need to solve that usability issue, I definitely experienced
it in Grafana.

For Grafana in particular, I know Prometheus driver has a "label name" that
is defined in Grafana and can be templatized with metrics labels. It's
purely on Grafana side and only works for Grafana.

Having a convention is a quick solution, do we see it used by Metrics
internals or only by agents and UIs ? Does it need to support templating
with other tags or do we expect the client to be smarter to tags value
change ?

I would also suggest displayName (or display_name or else) rather than just
name, I think it's clearer that it's for UI and can change.