[Hawkular-dev] need discussion around how we are going to do domain support

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Wed Dec 6 19:19:55 EST 2017

> The current plan is to have a metrics-only agent run in the slave server. It
> will write a file indicating what its jmx exporter endpoint is. The host
> agent will probe a directory where the slave agents write their files - when
> new files are discovered, the agent will change its resource configuration
> "Metrics Endpoint" thus triggering an inventory update. When the server sees
> this update, it will write out new P scrape endpoint configs so P knows to
> scrape the slave endpoints, too.

I think I have domain mode working; at least, things look sane in the inventory UI and Prometheus.

https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-commons/pull/202

https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-agent/pull/423

If you build with those, then build hawkular-services with commons and agent SNAPSHOT deps (to pick up the new stuff), you should be able to see it working.

Run your new h-services build and prometheus from within your h-services directory:

hawkular-services/dist/target/hawkular-services-dist-1.0.0.Final-SNAPSHOT/bin/standalone.sh -b 0.0.0.0 -Dhawkular.agent.enabled=false
hawkular-services/dist/src/test/scripts/run-prometheus.sh

Then run a wildfly+agent in domain mode - your h-agent directory has a distro that mvn builds so that you can test. I run it on another box so my ports don't conflict with the h-services server:

cd hawkular-agent/hawkular-javaagent-wildfly-dist/target/hawkular-javaagent-wildfly-dist-2.0.0.Alpha1-SNAPSHOT/bin
export HAWKULAR_USER=jdoe
export HAWKULAR_PASSWORD=password
./domain.sh --host-config=host-hawkular.xml -Dhawkular.rest.url=http://your-h-services-server:8080 -Dhawkular.agent.metrics.host=your-local-host

Then just go to the inventory UI and poke around.

I'm sure there are things still not right (missing metrics, perhaps) but I suspect the rest of the work is just getting the inventory and metric configuration files to match what we want to collect.