[Hawkular-dev] Proposing closer integration of APM and "Hawkular metrics" on Kubernetes / OpenShift

John Mazzitelli mazz at redhat.com
Mon Feb 27 11:58:02 EST 2017

> *b) I think it would make sense to always use the Prometheus protocol (and
> Hosa may learn how to use the more efficient binary protocol)

If you are referring to the Prometheus binary exposition format [1] (aka content type of "application/vnd.google.protobuf; proto=io.prometheus.client.MetricFamily; encoding=delimited" as opposed to "text/plain"), HOSA already supports this - it can read any Prometheus endpoint that exposes metric data in either the text or binary format.

See the source code [2] and a test [3] that shows this working.

[1] https://prometheus.io/docs/instrumenting/exposition_formats/
[2] https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-openshift-agent/blob/master/prometheus/prometheus_scraper.go#L69-L78
[3] https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-openshift-agent/blob/master/prometheus/prometheus_scraper_test.go#L155-L164