[Hawkular-dev] Dynamic UI PoC Presentation

Heiko Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Mon Jul 31 12:08:38 EDT 2017

Hey Caina,

On 20 Jul 2017, at 22:29, Caina Costa wrote:

> This is another update to the proof of concept, and today we are doing
> big improvements to cover other parts of the representation that we
> did not cover yet: fetching data from Hawkular, and turning that into
> entities/views.

It's great that you are making progress. There are still some
missing pieces for me, but perhaps just because I didn't
try the code.
Before I go on, let me put a diagram in:

In Blue are pieces that should not need any modification if
a new type of Server is added. In the picture I have three servers
Type A and Type B, which have their configuration for the
resources they represent and report and send metrics about.
They would now also get additional data (meta data) about
the layout of those resources on the MiQ UI (Def A and B).
So if I modify Def A, the way the UI is layouted in Layout A
should change.

There are now some extra definitions, that I want to briefly
explain:
In the current setup of the agent and inventory, each server of
a given type (Type B) sends its own Inventory report and would
also send its own version of the Definition, hence Def B and Def B'.

What we could do it to now use Def* from the agent, but create
(Hawkular-)server side definitions SDef* for that purpose that
would then direct the layouting as Def A and so would do.
But that is a bit of a 2ndary concern at the moment.

I think what would be good if you could implement your current
status end-to-end with a new type of server (something Fusy)
including the definition file on Hawkular side and an actual rendered
UI so that we can continue from there.

Thanks
    Heiko