[Hawkular-dev] agent "new server" event

John Sanda jsanda at redhat.com
Wed Mar 29 08:29:11 EDT 2017

> On Mar 29, 2017, at 4:35 AM, Joel Takvorian <jtakvori at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 4:09 PM, John Sanda <jsanda at redhat.com <mailto:jsanda at redhat.com>> wrote:
> We are introducing a feature to purge metric definitions that have not received any data for some time.
>

> If I understand this PR [1], metrics are eligible for deletion only when their data points have all expired. If it's true then fixing the TTL problem also fixes the metrics expiration problem.
>
> [1] https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-metrics/pull/785 <https://github.com/hawkular/hawkular-metrics/pull/785>
Prior to this PR we added support for metric deletion; however, deletion does not result in immediate deletion of data points. We still let data points in in the data_compressed table expire. We do this because one of the guidelines for using TimeWindowCompactionStrategy (TWCS) is to use a global TTL and not delete data.