[Hawkular-dev] RfC: Layered Hawkular-services vs packaged one

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Thu May 4 05:29:30 EDT 2017

Hey,

right now when we deploy Hawkular-services (H-S) on OpenShift, we run
into a situation where the user may already have deployed
Hawkular-Metrics (HAM) in OpenShift[1] and thus by deploying H-S will
end up in a situation where HAM is deployed twice - once for the
platform and once for H-S.

One solution could be to 'just' deploy H-S in OpenShift instead of HAM,
but this has some drawbacks
- larger deployment
- inclusion of parts that are not needed in 'classic' OpenShift
- different security model for OS-HAM than for H-Services

Another option could be to logically split and layer H-S:
- Have a H-S container (H-S-2) , that does not contain HAM
- This container would provide everything of H-S without HAM
- Calls to H-S-2 HAM are forwarded to OS-HAM

Of course there is no such thing as a free lunch:

- need to reserve the 'hawkular' tenant in OS-Metrics
- OS-Metrics has a different security concept
       H-S-2 could act as a proxy that receives calls to HAM from agents
and clients, but 'translates' credentials and then forwards the calls to
OS-HAM

Does the above idea make any sense?
I am sure I am missing a ton of items in the above list

   Heiko

[1] (e.g. with oc cluster up --metrics=true)