[Hawkular-dev] Generic Hawkular-UI in MiQ

Heiko W.Rupp hrupp at redhat.com
Thu May 25 14:53:36 EDT 2017

On 25 May 2017, at 3:43, John Mazzitelli wrote:

> This is the infamous "sync" problem. We have been desperately trying
> to avoid this - it was very complex and hard to get right in RHQ. You
> did not mention sync'ing resources themselves, but once we go down
> this road, I suspect that will be next.

I know about the sync issues in RHQ, and by avoiding this
we now have the different issue of possible inconsistencies
of RTs that should be equal.

What I was trying to indicate is to ensure that (at least the
base) properties of all resource types that say they are
"WildFly 10 standalone server" are the same.

> But of course anything is possible. I will say if we are to do this,
> it will involve a *major* change to the agent code because we
> purposefully did not design it to work like RHQ did. The RT metadata
> gets stored and updated, not at startup in one big synchronous block
> of processing, but rather at the time resource discovery occurs. It
> happens

Isn't / shouldn't the metadata (RTs, MTs) come from
standalone.xml / config.yml ? My understanding is that
the RTs (not the actual resources) should be the same
as long as the user does not change standalone.xml/config.yml.
In this case we could remove those metric-type-dmr and
resource-type-dmr (or what they are called) and pull them
from the server, where we feed them in once. The agent
can then cache them locally if it wants.

> piece by piece, asynchronously, as individual resources are
> discovered. And it happens well after the agent has started.

Resource discovery would continue to work as is. And no,
not resource syncing or even RT-syncing.
Just moving the Metadata from each agent into a common
place and have the agent get it from there instead from a
local file.

Also I believe that the wish to modify individual RTs in agents
is less there in a containerized world, where we provide a
base image that has all the RTs baked in.

Anyway - unifying the RTs this way or not, does not change
the general approach of providing metadata to dynamically
create the UI from the metadata.