[Hawkular-dev] Hawkular Inventory v4 in ManageIQ

Josejulio Martinez Magana jmartine at redhat.com
Fri Nov 3 15:49:26 EDT 2017

Current master branch of Hawkular-Services already integrates our new
inventory version.

There were changes on the provider code to use a new hawkular gem (not yet
released) and changes on the manageiq core are to bump the gem version
(currently using master) and to update the live metrics mapping.

Here are some details to demo it:

I’m attaching a docker-compose.yml (thanks Edgar) to make it easier to test.

1) You should have ManageIQ dependencies already installed, you can follow
this getting started [1] right before “Cloning and configuring the
application”

2) Clonning the updated repositories (currently my forks [2, 3])

  mkdir ManageIQ-inventoryv4 && cd ManageIQ-inventoryv4
  git clone -b hawkular-1259 https://github.com/josejulio/manageiq
  git clone -b hawkular-1259
https://github.com/josejulio/manageiq-providers-hawkular
  cd manageiq
  echo override_gem 'manageiq-providers-hawkular', path:
File.expand_path(\"../../manageiq-providers-hawkular\", __dir__) >>
bundler.d/vendor.rb
  ./bin/setup

2) Start hawkular services (with the attached docker-compose.yml)

  docker compose up

3) Start manageiq (in manageiq path)

    bundle exec rake evm:start

At this point you should have everything ready to add a middleware provider
to hawkular and see the usual data there but using the new inventory
backend.

Note: This is not about using Prometheus (yet).

[1]
https://github.com/ManageIQ/manageiq-providers-hawkular/blob/master/GETTING_STARTED.md
[2]
https://github.com/josejulio/manageiq-providers-hawkular/tree/hawkular-1259