[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Lucene: What's next

Emmanuel Bernard emmanuel at hibernate.org
Thu Nov 2 18:28:42 EST 2006

Hi again,

Here are some ideas I have in mind for Hibernate Lucene

o User feedback
First and most important, I need and will use user feedback on the
changes: Usability, Use case coverage, etc
I know our model work well for non complex querying requirement, I would
like to see it evolving to enhance flexibility to cope with more complex
ones. The design of Hibernate Lucene tries to not hide the Lucene APIs
LuceneSession currecly use the delegation pattern, is it OK any better
idea? Right now you have to do new LuceneSession(session);

o More built-in types
I want to increase the number of built in types, speak up!

o Distributed Directory(Provider)
Using JBossCache as a distributed Lucene Directory is something I have
in mind.

o Distributed read / centralized update
Push the indexing work to a centralized machine and do in asynchronously.
This is a fairly common architectural practice for Lucene.

o Analyzer
Today we have one analyzer per DirectoryProvider. This is most likely
too coarse grained

o Better integration of the bridge system and the query mechanism
A subclass of the lucene QueryParser might be a good candidate to hook
into some params translation between the user view and the index view
Alternatively, query parameters is a good candidate

o Filtered Lucene query (Ales idea)
Apply filters on all elements queried through lucene, basically an
additional BooleanQuery to the initial query

o More access to the Lucene information
When a query is executed by Lucene, you can have access to:
 - the number of results
 - the normalized score of a given document
It might be interesting to give access to this information

o Use of the lucene index to build the object (ie avoid DB access)
http://www.mail-archive.com/hibernate-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg06019.html

o Default QueryParser
Right now you need a query parser, to create a lucene query than pass
this query to the luceneSession. This need to be simplified in the
default cases

Some additional elements are available on JIRA. Look for opened issues
on HibernateAnnotation/lucene

o Name you needed feature here...