[hibernate-dev] hibernate mysql testsuite

Wed Nov 29 05:58:43 EST 2006

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 10:10:46 +0100, Darryl Miles
> <darryl-mailinglists at netbauds.net> wrote:
>
>> Aleksandar Kostadinov wrote:
>>> As the testsuite was continually failing because of a mysql bug that is
>>> fixed in 4.1.18 I think it's worth installing newer version.
>>
>> Have you got a reference to this bug ?
>
> yes, knowing what that bug is would be beneficial.
>
> And regarding the version then Mysql 4.whateveristhelateststable sounds
> like the best match.
>
> Mysql 5 is still in beta, correct ?

No.  5.0 went GA I guess 3rd Nov 2005.

http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/on-demand-webinars/mysql5.0-ga-2005-11-03.php

But since we're in overlap period a Mysql 4.1.x server and 5.0.x server
should still be considered mainstream (by me anyway).

> With respect to isam and innodb I would say that innodb is the important
> one
> since isam doesn't have proper tx isolation nor foreign key constraints and
> as such is not really something we want to encourage.

Agreed.  But I think the point he was making was that the same SQL
server can be used to test both configurations and dialects.  The cost
of creating a new configuration and running a test isn't much extra as
you already have the server setup.

Even if such tests were done much less frequently, like once a week.
While concentrating efforts on whatever version is the latest GA with
all the major players.

I'd have thought having access to a working SQL server from each vendor
in each supported version series must be a useful resource just to have
anyway.  If you want pointers on installing/dual homing your test box
with multiple MySQL servers drop me a mail.

Darryl