[hibernate-dev] dynamic entities

Iyad Elian iyadelian at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 21:45:01 EDT 2007

sorry I don't see how Christian answer was serious brushing me off with few classes to insert into EAV. granted the way I landed this on you deserves such a reply but can we skip to the serious phase.
well spotted that I am talking about a deep level of dynamic. Serveral domains not just the medical field have thousands of objects with subsets needed in different circumstances. some domains use domain specific languages with runtimes to interpret content. There are many reasons why you can't map objects to tables at design time. There are many other reasons why you can't have a static domain model. I am not here to argue the problem but explore the solution with you.
do I have your ears?

Max Rydahl Andersen <max.andersen at redhat.com> wrote:
Christians answer was actually serious ;)

My background is medical systems and both HL7, GEPJ and the european
DH
has a great deal of genericity because the medical domain has it...but I
don't see how it requires
the level of dynamicity you are referring too.

/max

> very funny. I had similar skepticism  until I worked in such domain. I
> understand the issues surrounding such a model, I spent 15 years working
> for Oracle. implementing it is not that trivial. there is a real need
> and I explain the details if I have more serious replies.
>
> Christian Bauer  wrote:
> On Apr 30, 2007, at 9:48 PM, Iyad Elian wrote:
>
>> alternative persistence model common in some domains like the medical
>> domain. how do I go about it?
>
> So data consistency and integrity is not important in the medical
> domain and the EAV stuff is used as the main model for data
> management? I can't believe that. EAV is just a synonym for "I don't
> like to think about data management and schema evolution, therefore
> let me break it right away in the design phase." Of course, it has
> its uses but it's rare to see it applied properly.
>
> Implementing an EAV pattern on top of Hibernate is trivial. Attached
> some source you may use if you promise never to design a system with
> this that runs my pacemaker.

>  Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Max Rydahl Andersen
callto://max.rydahl.andersen