[hibernate-dev] Maven migration

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Thu May 24 15:54:20 EDT 2007

At this point in time, I am relatively happy with my PoC of Maven.  So
the time has come to migrate.  Starting tomorrow (Friday 5/25) I will
begin migrating trunk to use the maven stuff I have been working on.
For those that have not already seen it, and want to take a sneak peek,
the temporary work has been happening here:
http://fisheye.jboss.com/viewrep/Hibernate/trunk/sandbox/maven-poc

The directory structure is quite different, as it is taking advantage of
Maven modules.  Thus the resulting jars are also different from what
they used to be; we used to just produce hibernate3.jar, but will now
have more "modular" jars.  Essentially any "optional" services were
isolated into separate modules to simplify management of transitive
dependencies.  The only glaring one missing from that modularization
right now is the bytecode providers, which require some major code
changes (planned anyway) before I can do that.

As an FYI, I had Max verify loading the project into Eclipse after using
the maven-eclipse-plugin to generate the Eclipse project files; he said
it was fine.  For the IntelliJ users, well your out of luck sorta.  I
use IntelliJ and the maven-idea-plugin works far less than ideal.
However, be aware that IntelliJ7 (already in EAP) has the ability to
directly open Maven project descriptors as if they were IntelliJ
projects.  So that'll be awesome.  Netbeans users, dunno; sorry.

Part of that PoC was developing some custom plugins for stuff like
DocBook.  Actually, I'll be sending out another email in a few days
regarding DocBook stuff in general.  Those, too, will be pushed not sure
where exactly yet on a permenant basis but to the JBoss Maven repo for
Maven access (its details are below).  The DocBook one is interesting to
note for those using DocBook for documentation.  Essentially it is
broken down into a number of projects:
1) net.sf.docbook:docbook - this is a simple repackaging of the actual
DocBook distro, packaging up (1) its standard XSLTs and (2) its extended
SAXON support.  I decided to not package up its extended XALAN support
since I have never been successful utilizing XALAN for DocBook anyway.
This projects versioning scheme it to mirror the source DocBook distro
which it repackages (currently repackaged only 1.70.1).
2) org.jboss.maven.plugins:maven-jboss-docbook-plugin:0.1 - This is the
actual maven plugin to run the DocBook transformations.  Over the next
few days I'll be further enhancing this to also define (a) a custom
packaging and (b) archetype(s)
3) org.hibernate:hibernate-docbook-xslt:0.1 - defines the Hibernate
custom DocBook stylesheets (the maven-jboss-docbook-plugin understands
how to resolve stylesheets via classpath resource lookups presumably
against dependencies like this).

If anyone has pending check-ins, you may wanna get to it now.  And
try to resist check-ins tomorrow until I send an all-clear.

Thanks,
Steve

P.S. The JBoss repo details (I just put this in my settings.xml):

                <repository>
                    <id>jboss</id>
                    <url>http://repository.jboss.com/maven2/</url>
                    <releases>