[hibernate-dev] Re: maven migration

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Tue May 29 08:07:22 EDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-05-28 at 19:37 -0400, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
> For stupid people like me who don't know how to complete an XML for 2
> hours, see at the bottom the changes Steve was talking about.
Sorry, I thought the Maven site explains this pretty well and assumed
that people would find it pretty easily with minimal effort... guess
not.  Actually the better way is to put this stuff into
~/.m2/settings.xml.  That location is (1) local to your user and (2) not
mucking with the maven install.  I've attached mine for easy reference.

> I have OOME from the docbook plugins it seems when I do mvn clean
> install. I'll try to figure it out where to increase the permgen in
> the next 2 hours.
I had oom problems running the xslt processors on windows.  After I
switched to fedora it was fine.  You can either set MAVEN_OPTS when
launching maven, or edit the mvn script.

> Also if someone has a survival guide for Maven. ie how to:
>   - build a jar
mvn package
>   - run the test suite
mvn test
>   - run one test
mvn -Dtest=MySuperDuperCriticallyImportantTest test
>   - build the distro (install it seems)
(not sure exactly what you want here, but prolly 'assembly' which is not
yet finished for hibernate)
>   - build your IDE configuration
mvn idea:idea / mvn eclipse:eclipse ; but the better option is to use
the ide plugins, which for intellij means getting the latest selena (7x)
eap.

> I will read the maven book I promise (seems I won't escape that) but
> not just right now :) Once I have the info, I'll create a wiki page
> out of it..
Well as I told you on chat there is really only a single page you need
to read *as a user*, which is to understand the lifecycle and goals:
http://maven.apache.org/users/index.html

And especially the page linked from there:
http://maven.apache.org/guides/getting-started/maven-in-five-minutes.html

Sorry, did not realize '5 minutes' was too much to ask to make my life
easier and our build better ;)