[hibernate-dev] Re: [Hibernate-JIRA] Commented: (HSEARCH-115) Add a default value for indexing null value

Sanne Grinovero sanne.grinovero at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 21:29:18 EDT 2008

Hey all,
nice discussion :-)

About implementation 1:
I like this one, but think this is what people already are doing using
their own StringBridge when needed, as an "unsupported hack".
In case the framework was offering me this option I would expect it to
be really smart: "escape" somehow the value if eventually some
non-null object is tokenized to my same marker string; I would also
expect the framework to be keyword-aware somehow on query parsing, but
this looks really messy.

A new proposal:
I got inspired by the "3VL" considerations described in Emmanuel's
link to wikipedia, and think backwards compatibility is nice:
add a "@IndexNullMarker" on the property, this will add an additional
Field to the index for null values:

@Field
@IndexNullMarker
String getFoo(){

would add either the Field "foo:value" or "fooIsNull:true" to the
Document, implementing real three-state logic. Eventually we could add
"fooIsNull:false" too for query consistency.
To resolve nameclashes (imagine a getFooIsNull() property we could use
some character prohibited in Java identifiers:
"foo-isNull:true"
or escape the name with additional prefixes as needed.

The Field and StringBridge API would remain as-is;
If you prefer not to add an additional @IndexNullMarker could be
dropped if you think adding this field is acceptable for all fields.
We could add an additional option to existing field, but I am thinking
of a case you don't want to index the value, only mark it if it is
null.
Also IMHO an additional annotation makes it more intuitive that you
are adding an additional Field.

In any case I would question the original reason for this improvement
to index null values as "default language"; if there is a default I
think you should better tell me which it is, or give it a value. So I
can't really think of a good reason to have different results for
"search-on-null" rather than "search-on-empty", but it could
potentially help in "entity state reconstruction" use cases, when the
entity is partially rebuild using projection.

regards,
Sanne