[hibernate-dev] Hibernate Search: Master/Slave DirectoryProviders improvements proposal

Sanne Grinovero sanne.grinovero at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 08:03:42 EDT 2008

Hi Hardy,

A -- nice I'm getting the chance to teach something to you gurus..
yes this is really required, locking is fine, but there are two problems there;
  a) visibility: JVM makes no guarantee another thread will see the changes
made to a variable by another thread; it could see it "later on" and could also
never see the updated value. Also when several variables are updated,
the other thread
could see them updated in different order (so returning another
Dir.Provider than
intended by other state variables). Only "final" instance variables
are to be considered
safe.
  b) variable update atomicity: when updating a reference you are
changing several
byte variables, another thread could read some bytes of a new value and some of
an older version. This depends on architecture and JVM implementation,
but should really be avoided.
  Just remember that all communication between threads must always be
synchronized,
or even better use some of the really good java.util.concurrent.
That's why I am recommending the AtomicReference, this class has been
made exactly
to solve this problem, and on the architectures where it is unneeded
it is just compiled
to the fastest but SAFE implementation; the same considerations are true
for any java type, even primitives: one line of code in java doesn't
mean it's an
atomic op (sorry for repeating the obvious).
For a very good example on this problem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_checked_locking_pattern

D -- how stupid, I'm sorry I didn't think about that!
thanks, I suppose D is ok then.

As C and D are just little improvements, but A and B look like a bugs
needing a fix with some urgency, I would like to address A and B first; may I
open a single JIRA for both? both issues are related to the same files
and I would
like to avoid having to produce two different patches, potentially conflicting
with myself.

regards,
Sanne