[hibernate-dev] Hibernate 3.3.0.GA released

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Aug 18 12:10:22 EDT 2008

There are two aspects to this question:
1) In fact, in my discussions with Maven developers, they seem to fully
intended that users not rely on the central repo despite any
short-comings you mention.
2) The JBoss folks (who will actually take care of this synching) are
being asked to jump through hoops in order to get this synching in
place.  They are in the process of jumping through said hoops.

It is unfortunate that JBoss initially decided to create only a single
repository where they mix/combine artifacts that we push there plus
dependent artifacts on which we depend.  They were thinking only as an
end consumer (app server).  It would have been better imho for them to
set up 2 separate repos (one for us to publish artifacts and another for
dependent artifacts) plus a proxy unifying them for AS builds.  And in
fact that is the plan moving forward.  But in the meantime you will need
to choose between making use of the JBoss repo and someone manually
requesting uploads to central.

And as for your points:
1) The JBoss repo is in no way special in this regard.  I currently have
had to set up "extra manual configuration" for codehaus, altassian, and
some other repos.  This is neither difficult nor unusual.
2) As you mentioned, this is in fact a dumb linear search.  But luckily
it is a consistently dumb linear search :)  It will always follow the
order in which the repos are specified in your settings.xml.  No issue
of non-reproducibility.

-

Steve Ebersole
Project Lead