[hibernate-dev] Re: interesting issues in the forum

Sanne Grinovero sanne.grinovero at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 15:09:41 EST 2008

Can't you just rely on the cleanup() in FullTextIndexEventListener ?
That would be a good place to use ThreadLocal.remove();

When using the "autoregistration" of the listeners (see EventListenerRegister),
the ThreadLocal isn't used actually (As far as I understand):
so as 3.1 does target core 3.3, is it still possible to use 3.1 with manual
eventlistener registration? I guess i'ts possible, but should be useless:
We could recommend against using the registration-by-configuration, and drop
the TLocal in trunk.
For safety the current name could change, and the new name
could be removed/replaced during EventListenerRegister.

To fix it for older hibernate (for Search 3.02 eventually), when
autoregistration was not available, you could
either use the cleanup() or exploit the order of registration: the last listener
which is --usually-- registered has to clear the threalocal too.
We should just verify if this registration order changed in
hibernate's code during time.
(The scenarios having FullTextIndexEventListener registered only to some events
wouldn't be safe in this case, but I doubt they should be "supported" anyway..)

just some ideas, I'm in no way a ThreadLocal expert.

--Sanne