[hibernate-dev] Copyright on hibernate XML interface?

Steve Ebersole steve at hibernate.org
Mon Jul 28 10:25:55 EDT 2008

Its an interesting question as I have never really considered the
implications of the LGPL in terms of DTD.  The DTD is in fact covered
under the terms of the LGPL as are all parts of Hibernate.

AFAIK, referencing the DTD in your XML document(s) should constitute
what the LGPL terms dynamic binding.  As such, your application(s)
should be fine to use whatever licensing scheme you choose if the XML
doc(s) reference the *unmodified* Hibernate DTD.  However, if you were
to modify the Hibernate DTD you would be creating a derivative work
under the language of the LGPL and your entire app/library would come
under the terms of the LGPL.

Again, this is *my understanding*.  IANAL  I am asking a lawyer skilled
in this area for confirmation...

-

Steve Ebersole
Project Lead